China severs cooperation with US in retaliation for Nancy Pelosi’s ‘vicious’ and ‘provocative’ Taiwan trip: Tensions spiral as Beijing also sanctions Speaker and Biden demands talks with ambassador after ballistic missile test
- China has halted dialogue with the US on climate change, military issues, and anti-drug work in retaliation for Nancy Pelosi’s Taiwan visit
- China sanctioned U.S. House of Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi and her immediate family in response to her ‘vicious’ and ‘provocative’ actions
- Taiwan says multiple Chinese warships and jets crossed unofficial border on Friday morning
- Taipei condemned its ‘evil neighbor’ China for war games surrounding island
- Comes after Beijing fired ballistic 11 missiles over island for the first time during military drills on Thursday
- Secretary of State Antony Blinken condemned those missile landings as a ‘serious escalation’
- The Pentagon ordered the USS Ronald Reagan aircraft carrier to stay in the region and ‘monitor’ the situation’
Taipei said multiple Chinese warships and fighters today crossed the ‘median line’ that runs down the center of the Taiwan Strait, separating it from the mainland.
The line is an unofficial but previously widely-recognized border that Beijing insists ‘no longer exists,’ as it tries to exert control over its much smaller neighbor.
- The Pentagon ordered the USS Ronald Reagan aircraft carrier to stay in the region and ‘monitor’ the situation.
- The Reagan Carrier Strike group has moved into the East China and Philippine seas from its base in Japan
- Secretary of State Antony Blinken criticized those missile launches and called them a ‘significant escalation.
- The U.S. delayed a test of the Minuteman III intercontinental ballistic missile to avoid enraging Beijing further.
- Japan protested China’s missile tests as a ‘serious threats to Japan’s national security and safety of its people.
- Japan’s Defense Ministry also speculated that four missiles flew over Taipei, the capital city